Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Praying for my child...

When I was young I was brought to church on and off. There would be weeks where we could go every Sunday and then months of spans when we didn't go. Then there would be years. I attended youth group occasionally for in my head it was for the social gathering and yet I don't think I ever walked away with knowledge of the Lord-sadly. Looking back I don't think that was my intention but I didn't have a relationship with God I should have had back then and my flesh was just not focusing on the words the youth Pastor would say. Truthfully I don't think I can re call where I actually felt like I had a personal relationship with God until after my brothers death. Even after it took a few months of pleading everything possible, praying for relief of heartache, praying for the pain to stop, and down right begging on my knees for God to save me. That is when I started to realize I was depending on God for my daily survival of my "new life" after death. As the 4 years and 3 months have passed I have fallen into the deepest love with God. I have a amazing personal relationship with Him. One that I wish I had started many many MANY years ago! Being that I didn't grow up in church, I have been left with out practically any knowledge of God besides the basics most everyone knows. I would continually pray that God would guide my heart on a path that would fill me with everything of Him. I have to say it has been a amazing journey and I would never turn back. God has answered so many prayers.
I think God hears all of our prayers. No matter how small or how big they are. My prayers varied from subject to subject depending on what my heart was needing that day. It wasn't until I started reading The power of a praying wife and the power of a praying parent that I realized.....My prayers NEED to be SO much more!!! That in my heart I knew what I wanted but I didn't quite pray for the specific things the way I should have been. Prayer is a powerful thing..
As I grow in my relationship with Christ every day I can only hope that Logan will grow up continuing to love God as much as he does now. That his heart will continue to thirst for more knowledge of God. I always felt these things but never truly prayed for them. The book the power of a praying parent has truly tought me how to pray. I just wanted to share one of them that gave me comfort in Logan's future in my prayers.
Lord, I pray for (Child's name) to have an ever-increasing hunger for more of You. May he long for Your presence-long to spend time with You in prayer,praise and worship. Give him a desire for the truth of Your word and a love for Your laws and Your ways. Teach him to live by faith and be led by the Holy Spirit, having an availability to do what You tell him to do. May he not have any allegiances or diversions away from You, but rather may he be repulsed by ungodliness and all that is in opposition to You. May a deep reverence and love for You and Your ways color everything he does and every choice he makes. Help him to understand the consequences of his actions. May he not be wise in his own eyes but rather "fear the Lord and depart from evil" (Proverbs 3:7)
This prayer made me realize- I NEED to pray this every day for Logan. I am saddened that my brother's death is what made and gained my relationship with Christ. I pray that Logan's is started from his heart and not his hurt like mine (of course mine grew to my heart thirsting for God!)
I feel that there are so many people out there that are not aware of the power of praying. A prayer from your heart, a true meaningful prayer...It's amazing and the best talk you can ever have with someone (Him!)

1 comment:

  1. This makes my heart happy! I didn't realize you had a blog, until you just posted about the POPP book. I'm so happy you shared this, I would love to read the book. The most important thing to me as a parent, is raising my children in church and ensuring that they truly understand God, his son, the sacrifice, his plans for their life, etc. We don't just attend...we live it, we hunger for it. Having my 8 year old ASK to be baptized, rather than US asking her was one of the most rewarding moments yet!

    You're doing a wonderful thing for your family - thank you again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete