Monday, January 16, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

It's a new year. For some it's trying to be a new you. A new diet. A new boyfriend. Whatever it might be, share the LOVE!!! It wasn't until last year that I started doing random acts of kindness. Why did I wait so long! (you must excuse my blog post that should have question marks in them as my question mark key is not working :p ) But really, why doesn't everyone do one random act of kindness at least weekly! I don't have them happen to me often..Very rarely actually. But I could care less about receiving. It's about giving! The feelings I get when I help someone or gift them something is incredible. And its plain as day that people don't see RAOK (random acts of kindness) often, because every time I do one; the person is blown away or I get some crazy look! It's quite funny actually. On Christmas Eve when my son, my mom and my self went to the mall to pass out reindeer guide and candy canes to random kids we got the strangest looks even though we said this is a RAOK. And one day while I asked to pay for the person behind me at Starbucks the cashier took a double take before she grabbed my card. One RAOK that left me giggling was on Christmas Eve when I left our mailman a thing of puppy chow in our mailbox with a note attached "Thank you for all your hard work. Merry Christmas, Enjoy!" I happen to be upstairs in the laundry room when he came and was looking out the window to see his reaction. He took a few looks at the house to see if anyone was outside or looking (to say thanks I'm sure) but he sat for about 3 minutes before he pulled off. I kept wondering what he was doing because we did not have a package.. No, no....He was chowing down on his puppy chow! LoL! It made me smile. A week later he left us a letter in our mailbox thanking us for the "not sure what that was but it was delicious!"
My point is...This world could use a lot more RAOK. I hope you can receive the joy that it has brought me in doing so!

Here are a few ideas of some RAOK:

1-Leave a treat for your mailman
2-Bring some bake goodies to your neighbors
3-Pick up the tab for the person behind you in the drive thru (I always ask the amount, just to make sure it isn't some ridiculous amount like $50.00! ;) )
4-Leave quarters on the gum machines at the mall, grocery store etc
5-Take coloring books to a local children's hospital and pass them around
6-Purchase $5.00 gift cards to Starbucks and randomly pass them out
7-Hold the door for the person behind you and say "Have a great day!"
8-Take water or can soda out to your garbage men
9-If you are expecting a package from UPS,FEDEX etc give them a little treat for the road. (They are hard workers you know!)
10-Make cards for the elderly in a local nursing home. If you have children have them decorate them.
11-Take a thank you card and treats to your local fire station, police station and hospital and tell them you greatly appreciate their hard work.
12-Send someone a card in the mail randomly with out having to be a occasion
13-Take your mom flowers with out it being a occasion
14-Pay someone's lay away bill at walmart or kmart (I do realize this could be pricy, depending on your budget you could always just pay some of it)
15-Call the electric or water company and let them know you would like to pay in full or toward someones electric-water bill. Ask if they can find one that is already pass due
16-Someone you know just have a baby, not feeling good, or stressed..Offer to bring them dinner one night
17-Go to a local playground and pass out $ store coloring books and a few crayons attached. Let the parents know before you approach the children that this is a RAOK.
18-Help the elderly put groceries in their car (Let them know it is a RAOK so they don't think you want to rob them)
19-offer a couple of hours of free babysitting to fellow friends
20-Give care packs to the homeless (travel sized shampoo,conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrush, bar of soap, and a candy bar in a gallon size zip lock bag.)
21-Leave small gift (travel size lotions etc) for your waitress
22-pay someones tolls behind you
23-Don't try to make money off of your old clothing-find someone who really needs the help and donate them.
24-Give your child's teacher a special gift with a card attached with your appreciation.
25-BE GENEROUS WITH COMPLEMENTS!!!
My list could go on but I hope this encourages you to brighten someone's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment